A vocalist who doesnt take care of his voice is as good as a farmer who doesnt cultivate his crops and expect a bumper harvest. How on earth is that possible?
Lets Talk Muzik
The Five Star General
In as much as you always look after your body and keep it clean, you buy wep wipes to get rid of sweat at any given time, you buy roll on who avoid smelling of the armpits.
If you are a vocalist your voice needs the same attention. As a vocalist your voice is you WEAPON! No soldier goes to war with a faulty weapon! Its so amazing how a lot of vocalist neglect their voices and expect a miracle on stage. ‘You bring a faulty WEAPON on stage it will let you down when you need it most. In this article we will take a look at how to take care of your weapon:
Here are some of the basics tips of taking care of your voice:
1. Drink frequent sips of water to keep the vocal tract well hydrated. It is recommended that you drink at least 1.5 to 2 litres of water daily.
2. Balance your voice use throughout the day. If you have a vocally demanding day ahead, avoid talking when it is not necessary. When you are ill or tired, rest your voice, along with your body.
3. Pay attention to how your voice is feeling. Rest your voice if your throat feels tired, dry or sore.
4. Sing only in a comfortable pitch and loudness range for your voice. Do not sing in positions that can cause tension in your neck and head, for example throwing your head back, or jerking your neck forward.
5. Keep your jaw open and relaxed, instead of clenching your teeth or tensing the jaw when you speak or sing.
6. Avoid foods and drinks that can promote acid refluxand increase mucus secretions in the throat. Common problem foods include fried, oily and spicy food, full-cream dairy products, chocolates and nuts. Caffeinated and carbonated beverages should also be avoided.
7. Be aware of the effect emotions can have on you. Stress and anxiety can contribute to physical tension in sites like the throat, neck, chest and shoulders. These areas should be relaxed to produce an easy voice. Consider undertaking relaxation activities (e.g. exercise) if you experience high stress levels.